Monday, September 1, 2008

Showing off for Mommy

I have learned that on the even hours is when Anna is turned and assessed. I enjoy being there because then I get to see more of all of her parts and sometime I even get to help with keeping her arms from hitting the tube or moving a blanket for the nurse. I get to see her face which is covered up most of the time to block the light. When she is turned both the nurse and respiratory therapist do it. You would not think that it would take 2 people to turn such a little baby but they have to make sure that everything stays in place.

They have spent some efforts today to reduce the oxygen concentration to see how she can tolerate it. Earlier in the day when she was turned and jostled she would have some difficulties maintaining good oxygen concentrations and it was a little scary at times. When she was turned at 10:00 PM tonight she did very well. The nurse commented that she was "showing off for her Mommy" because I was not in the room when she was turned at 8:00. It felt good to see her do well.

The plan for the overnight is to just watch her vitals and let her rest. They are not planning to do any testing or make any changes unless necessary. Keep her comfortable and prepare her for possible changes tomorrow. At best we are looking at least a couple more days for her to be supported by the ventilator. It all depends on how she reacts to the changes. I try to not get too wrapped up in when the ventilator might come off so that I am not disappointed.

As for me it has been a roller coaster day emotionally. Each day reality sets in more and more and the emotions can become overwhelming. I try to stay focused on the positive and enjoy the times that I get to spend with Anna and also the visits from Lissie and Jill.

I realized late today that I did not really take too many pictures. I do not think that it was for any particular reason except that the camera happened to be in David's pocket. I will try to be better tomorrow.

Jessica

No comments: