Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The Plan: Day 8

Well the progress to make changes this morning has been slow. I know that there are other babies in the nursery but I want the nurses, nurse practitioner and doctor to all focus on my baby. Sometimes it just seems like it takes forever for them to make order changes and determine what the plan for the baby will be. I am so ready for all of the tubes to be gone.

Here is the plan today: All of the medications used to control her blood pressure have been discontinued, her sedation medication was cut in half again, her catheter was removed, one of the setting on the vent was decreased by 1. Dr. Romero stated that he anticipates that the vent will be off in 24 to 48 hours. They will continue to decrease the settings on the ventilator. She has been tolerating all of the changes so far today so I am optimistic that she will do well the rest of the day.

The new challenge emotionally for me is that Anna is more awake. It is hard to see her try to cry with the tube in her mouth. You are supposed to pick up a crying baby but all I can do is lay my hand on her and let her know that I will be there for her. I know that I will be spending a lot more time with Anna at her bedside just because now that she is waking up I want her to know that I am there for her and reassure her in the little ways that I can right now.

Jessica

No comments: